Monday, September 28, 2009

Illness


As isn't terribly surprising this time of year, we've been passing a pretty robust cold around the IES students at Meikai. My roommate Hannah has been stricken pretty hard and I'm afraid that I'm starting to come down with it myself. That said, there are actually quite a few differences between American and Japanese demeanor towards sickness.
When I watched the news in the States, I always thought that China was the only country obsessed with wearing masks- but Japan as well finds it almost a act of extreme rudeness for one not to wear a mask when they are sick. The masks are sold everywhere- in all different shapes, colors, and designs, although the traditional plain, white masks are the most popular. One popular line of masks runs ads on the train, which have always rather put me off. "Japan's family mask," they say and I just stare at them every time in amazement- the family all sort of looks like ninjas. Or, perhaps, scream "Watch out for the Zombie Infestation."
That said, the culture is starting to soak into me. I heard a man behind me cough on the train today and was appalled when I turned around and saw he didn't have a mask. Before my mind could even stop myself, I thought "He doesn't know because he is a foreigner." Oh dear; hahaha.
Needless to say, the thought of wearing a mask (and as my friend Nancy brought up, potentially sneezing in one) makes me even more proactive in fighting this cold.

1 comment:

  1. ew ew ew ew ew sneezing into one of those is probably atrociously gross. What if its one of those ones where boogers fly out? I mean they're usually awful but I'd almost rather wipe it off my pants than have it pressed against my face until i can find a bathroom to swap masks in.

    ReplyDelete